Thursday, December 17, 2009

We have a diagnosis...

"Mom keeps torturing me with this!"



My poor little girl has an ear infection.. in BOTH ears! I took her to the doctor yesterday, and I wasn't even thinking about an ear infection.. (okay, the thought DID cross my mind). I was worried about it getting into her chest,because she has developed a really wet, nasty cough. We stripped her down and she was in good spirits, as usual. They weighed her - 19lbs 9oz! Almost to 20! So then we waited in the exam room for a bit. She had a blast playing with all the paper on the exam table - crinkling it and ripping it, and of course trying to eat it!! We met a new doctor at the practice (I think there are 6 total, we typically see the same one for all her well visits, sick visits are whoever is available). Dr. Gawalt (I think) was super nice. Bella Stood against me on the table and let the doctor listen to her chest. Bella was very still and quiet for the doctor! She let her look in her mouth to, although that wasn't as easy. When she tried to look into Bella's ears though, I had to hold her head against me. Bella wanted NO PART in letting ANYONE look in her ears! So we got the diagnosis of double ear infection. Since Bella has not ran a fever in the prior 24hrs, we went ahead and got her H1N1 booster.

I didn't really think about an ear infection, because she did not show the "classic" symptoms. Other than being cranky and fussy, she wasn't running a fever and wasn't pulling her ears, she didn't cry whenever she tried to nurse or drink a bottle or sippy. I thought all her crankiness was because she was miserably stuffed up and congested! I did feel like there was something more than a stuffy nose and cold, which is why I took her in. Well, I already had an appointment to get her H1N1 booster, but wanted them to make sure she was "cleared" to get it. Turns out, she was. Not her favorite part of the day, but I made up for it by getting her Chic-Fil-A for lunch! It's one of the only fast food places that is easy for me as far as getting her something to eat. Plus, their food is better thank anyone else's... except Sonic.

So we got a prescription for Amoxicillan She is supposed to take 1tsp every 12 hours, so I give it to her before bed, and then first thing when she wakes up, which is roughly 12 hours, give or take about 30 minutes. She takes the medicine just fine, however, I woke up to find an unpleasant diaper waiting for me. AH! The joys of mommy-hood! I talked to my sister about it, since she is the expert on all things about ear infections. I wish she wasn't, because the reason she is such an expert, is because she's dealt with ear infections since she was a tiny baby.. tubes, ruptured ear drum, etc. But I'm glad she DOES know, because I have no idea what to do for Bella. I couldn't tell you the last time I've had an ear INFECTION. So thanks Jen, for being there and giving me advice on what to do for her! <3>
Even when she's sick, she's cute!

Oh, and Bella is technically still contagious with her cold, so, no getting together with friends or any of that before the holidays. Which sucks, because I was really looking forward to getting her dressed up and together with a few of HER friends that are the same age. Oh Well. Another year! (or maybe we'll just do it in January!)

1 comment:

  1. She is wicked cute - I love the pictures!!!
    Happy little baby!

    ReplyDelete