Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Opinions.. everyone has one. A post about Social Networking.

So, I'm on Facebook. i've been on facebook. I love to post things, somedays i post a lot of random stuff, some days I post nothing. I know some people hate that I post randomness, and others love it.

My page is private, so if you aren't my friend, you can't see it, and you *shouldn't* be able to search for me either. It's been like that for a while now, pretty much shortly after I created it. I don't want random people on my page. It's that simple. i know who is on the list, so I know who I'm posting to.

I know that what I post - where I am, where I went, where I'm going, who I'm with, what i'm doing, everything - is open for opinions by those who read it. That is fine, I'm aware of that and I have no problem with that. Everyone has opinions, there's no getting around it. Some people like to tell me their opinions, and, i'm okay with that, even if I don't agree with it, I'm okay that they tell me. I prefer that they tell me, actually.

What i've realized i'm NOT okay with, is if they tell everyone else, and then somehow i hear that they've been sharing this opinion (good or bad) with mutual friends and people we know, and not with me. This is where I find problems. This is what truly bugs me. you see, I come from a family where we don't keep opinions to ourselves. We also don't run around and talk to everyone else about it either. I was raised that if I have something to say, I will say it. Now, my dad is reserved, and has always been good about what he says and how he says it. My mom, on the other hand, has no filter. For a long time, as a teenager, i also lacked that filter. As i've grown, I've learned that i can still say what i think, but in a way that isn't obnoxious and over-the-top. Occasionally that filter slips. Something comes out the wrong way with the wrong tone. Most people I know say something to me, either right there, or off to the side later on. Some people I'm sure just assume that that is just how I am and accept it. I know there are some people who find it terribly troubling, but can't confront me for whatever reason, but also have no problem telling everyone else about it.

Regardless of whatever anyone's reasons for their actions, I prefer to just be confronted. i cannot help myself to be a better person, if i am not given constructive criticism.

Facebook is a funny creature. you have friends, family, acquaintances, strangers. We all have different levels of what we share and don't share. Because of recent events, I've decided that facebook is for my moms club friends and a few select other friend who, without facebook, i'd have no other means of communication.

Anyhow, if you have an opinions about that, or this post, or my hair, or where i was last tuesday, kindly leave a comment. Or text me, or call me. But please, don't tell all your friends about it. Or, even if you do, tell me too. Thanks.

1 comment:

  1. I agree!

    I have problem. That swag bucks widget on your page? It covers up part of your blog post and I can't get rid of it. There's no way for me to X it out. So I feel like I'm missing something.

    ReplyDelete