Thursday, March 31, 2011

Surprises!

So - Bella has this cheapy foam magnetic alphabet puzzle. I bought it for her at the Dollar Tree as a stocking stuffer for Christmas. It has taken a beating, but we continue to somehow keep track of the letters. A few she has chewed on, a few the cat (yes, the cat) has chewed on. They've been in the sink, in the toy box, stepped on, kicked, in food.. you name it. But - hey, she loves magnets.

I try to b the great educational mom. You know the type: using every experience as a teaching experience. Pointing out every letter, color, shape, and number that they see to their child; they have flash cards, and every day do something involving some specific shape/color/letter/number. If you are one of those moms, I have much envy for you. I, no mater how much I'd like to be, am not that ambitious. I read to Bella, daily. She loves books. We point out whats in the pictures, naming items we see. We count flowers in the picture, or clouds, or whatever. We point out the red ball, the pink flower, the purple heart. I try, when I think about it, to point things out to Bella during any outings around town, but the truth it, I just don't think about it. We sing songs in the car, she finds it quite humorous for me to sing along with the radio, and occasionally tries to copy me. One subject I lack in teaching to her is letters. I don't know why, I don't have anything against teaching letters, and I certainly don't skip them on purpose, but I just don't find myself saying "Oh! Look Bella! It's the Letter V!". Nope, just not into it. Sure, she has books with letters, and we occasionally point them out in her alphabet book.. but, the point of all this is that I just lack in the Alphabet Education department.

Or so I thought. SO - back to this cheap magnet puzzle thing. Bella had them all over the kitchen floor. So we are picking up all the magnets, because EVERY MAGNET we own was on the floor. We get to the letters, and Bella is helping me stick them to the dishwasher. I ask her for the letter 'A'. She gave it to me. First try. Okay, I was a bit surprised, but it WAS right in front of her, so maybe a lucky guess? So I ask for 'B'. She looked for a moment.. then grabbed it and gave it to me. HOLY CRAP - My kid knows her letters! THANK YOU SESAME STREET! haha! So we went through the whole alphabet, and with the exception of 4-5, she handed me each letter I asked for, when I asked for it.

I know, as parents we should not rely on television to teach our children, but obviously shes picking it up from somewhere. I know Kevin works with her too, but.. I was just surprised and happy and super proud. And I just wanted to share.

1 comment: